To set up your Outlook 2003 client to work with Gmail:
1. Enable IMAP in Gmail. Don't forget to click Save Changes when you're done.
2. Open Outlook.
3. Click the Tools menu, and select E-mail Accounts...
4. Click Add a new e-mail account, then click Next.
5. Choose IMAP as your server type by clicking the radio button, and click Next.
6. Fill in all necessary fields to include the following information:
Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the From: field of outgoing messages.
Email Address: Enter your full email address ( email@example.com). Google Apps users, enter your address in the format
Incoming mail server3 (IMAP): imap.gmail.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
User Name: Enter your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)
Password: Enter your Gmail password.
7. Click More Settings... and then click the Outgoing Server tab.
8. Check the box next to 'My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication' and select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
9. Click the Advanced tab, and check the box next to 'This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)' under Incoming Server (IMAP). Also, enter 993 in the Incoming server (IMAP) box.
10. Check the box next to 'This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)' under Outgoing Server (SMTP), and enter 465 in the Outgoing server (SMTP) box.
11. Click OK.
12. Click Next, and then click Finish.
13. Download the latest updates for Outlook from Microsoft. This will help prevent the most common Outlook errors that Gmail users see.
14. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.
Congratulations! You're done configuring your client to send and retrieve Gmail messages.